About the Library
The Library of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) is the direct successor to the library of Tokyo Astronomical Observatory. The Library houses about 50,000 volumes of books and bound journals on astronomy, astrophysics, space science, geophysics, etc. The library also houses the rare book and manuscript collection including Japanese and Chinese books on astronomy and calendariography.
An organization affiliated person is defined as :
- a NAOJ faculty member or staff member, or a research fellow , or
- a faculty member or staff member, or graduate student at the Institute of Astronomy, the Faculty of Science, the University of Tokyo, or
- a graduate student of the Graduate University for Advanced Studies
The Libraryfs primary mission is to provide resources and services in support of the research and learning needs of NAOJ. In addition, the library serves as a community resource to support the research and information needs of the community. With that said, persons who are not affiliated with NAOJ may enter library facility to use the collections and services. However, non-affiliated users are obliged to follow restrictions below on using the library and the services.
- Weekdays : 9 a.m - noon and 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Weekends and holidays: closed.
- Library hours are subject to change. Hours changes and closings will be announced on the library website or will be posted in the Mitaka Headquarters facilities.
- Non-affiliated users will be given a badge at the "guard house near the entrance". Please wear your badge in a visible place. For more information : visitor guide.
- Non-affiliated users who wish to use the library must apply for a day-use visitor card at the "library front desk". The users are required to wear the card at all time to facilitate easy visual inspection and verification while in the library and return it to the library when they leave the library.
Library services for non-affiliated users
- Non-affiliated users may use the library (except rare books) but they do not have borrowing privileges at the library. Also, if the users wish to use materials on microfilm, they need to contact the library in advance.
- Document Delivery (Photocopy) Service:
Non affiliated library users may place a request for fee-based document delivery (35yen/page). Please complete the document delivery form at the library front desk. Please note the following restrictions regarding the service. A Document Delivery request is limited to research and private study purposes. Document Delivery services operate under copyright law guidelines. For example, copying substantial part of the copyrighted work is not allowed by the law.